M.Tech Admission Details
- 26th Dec 2016 Update: Candidates selected for 3-year MTech (RA) and Sponsored MTech have been intimated by email. Please see this link for more details.
- 07th Dec 2016 Update: Candidates shortlisted for the MTech (RA) and Sponsored MTech interviews have been informed. Please see this link for details.
- 14th Nov 2016 Update: The MTech (RA) and Sponsored MTech programme interviews will be held on 15th Dec 2016. Shortlisted candidates will be intimated soon after the application deadline.
- 11th Nov 2016 Update: We are currently accepting applications for the 3-year MTech (RA) programme and the Sponsored MTech programme. Please use this link to apply. The deadline is 30th Nov 2016.
- 20th Oct 2016 Update: We will soon be accepting applications for our 3-year MTech (RA) programme in the areas of networks, data analytics, computer vision/deep learning and compilers. Please continue to check this page for updates. All other information regarding this programme can be found below.
The CSE department at IIT Hyderabad invites outstanding candidates to join us for the Masters of Technology (M.Tech.) programme. The M. Tech. programme at IIT-H provides ample opportunities for students to explore both research and development skills. The advanced and specialized courses provide deeper insights into various subjects in Computer Science and Engineering, while the M. Tech. thesis allows you to go deeper into a topic of your interest by joining exciting research projects of the young faculty in the department. An M. Tech. at CSE-IITH will prepare you both for sought-after industry jobs, or for a Ph.D. in Computer Science. While the standard M.Tech programme spans 2 years, the 3-year M.Tech programme allows students to work on sponsored research projects, along with the coursework. IIT-H has its vision firmly entrenched in being a cradle for invention and innovation, and has already established partnerships with international partners, especially in Japan, since its inception in 2008. The CSE Department at IIT-H is active in research areas including theoretical computer science, algorithms, graph theory, networking, distributed systems, compilers, big data analytics, data mining, machine learning, and image/video processing. It has large active funded research projects in the application domains of cyber-physical systems, converged cloud radio access networks, Big Data and disaster management.
The candidate must have:
- A 4-year B.Tech./B.E. degree in any engineering discipline or an MSc/MS/MCA degree in CS/IT/Maths, and have an excellent academic record. Candidates having professional qualifications recognized by AICTE, like AMIE, are also eligible to apply.
- The candidate should have demonstrated adequate background in computer science (Valid GATE score in CS/IT)
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS AND PROCEDURES
Dept. does not offer part-time M. Tech. program. Admission to the M. Tech. program can be gained in three categories:
- 2-year M.Tech with Teaching Assistantship (TA)
- 3-year M.Tech with Research/Project Assistantship (RA)
- Sponsored M.Tech (2-year/3-year)
The intake for 2-year M.Tech and Sponsored M.Tech programs happens only once a year (for the July session), while the intake for the 3-year MTech typically happens twice a year (for the July and January sessions).
- Admission to the 2-year M.Tech with TA is done typically by direct admission based on GATE score cut-off. Admission to the 3-year M.Tech and Sponsored M.Tech programs is based on written test followed by interview for shortlisted candidates. Interview will be based on a basic Computer Science syllabus. Valid GATE scores are highly recommended, but not mandatory for sponsored category. Students in the 3-year M.Tech program complete the same amount of coursework as 2-year M.Tech students, but are additionally involved in sponsored research projects.
- M.Tech students (TA/RA) receive a stipend as per MHRD (Govt. of Inida) or sponsored project guidelines
- The department also has the provision for interested students in the M.Tech program to convert to Ph.D during the course of the program
- As an exception to the admissions for the 2-year M.Tech programme, B.Tech/MSc/MS/MCA students from IITs with a CPI of at least 8.0 (7.5 for SC/ST candidates) will be granted a waiver from GATE requirement. However they will have to appear for a written test and interview, where they will be tested on programming skills and knowledge of basic CS subjects.
- Candidates in the Sponsored M.Tech programme category must be a regular employee of the sponsoring organization with at least 2 (two) years of professional experience in the respective field. Prior research exposure and/or industry experience are also considered while selecting candidates in the sponsored and 3-year (RA) categories
- Candidates still to appear in their qualifying degree examinations may also apply, provided they appear in all their qualifying degree examinations and complete all requirements for their degrees at least a month before the joining semester. If selected, such candidates shall be admitted provisionally, and they will have to furnish the results of their qualifying degree examinations on joining. Further, they must fulfill the minimum requirements of marks/CPI, and other conditions like valid GATE score, etc., as mentioned under eligibility criteria for respective programmes. Failure to fulfill any of these requirements, shall automatically result in cancellation of admission.
- The department reserves the right to set any cut off criteria for shortlisting the candidates. The shortlisted candidates will be called for exam/interview (for the 3-year and sponsored MTech programmes). The department reserves the right to conduct interviews for admission to the 2-year M.Tech programme even if the applicant has a valid GATE score. The department has the right not to select any if appropriate candidates are not found.
The following certificates are to be produced by the candidates in original at the time of interview for verification:
- Degree / Diploma Certificates or provisional certificates from the competent authority of the University or Institute concerned. (In case of candidates whose result are awaited, producing the mark sheets / grade card will be sufficient. However, if selected, they have to produce the certificate mentioned, for verification, at the time of admission)
- All Mark sheets / Grade Cards of your qualifying examinations
- OBC/SC/ST Certificate, if applicable
- Sponsorship Letter, if applicable
- Publications, if applicable
- No objection certificate from the present employer, if applicable