MTech in Data Science 2018
21st May,2018 : The deadline for MDS applications is extended till 22nd May 2018 4pm.
From August 2018 semester, CSE department is offering a new MTech programme known as MTech in Data Science (MDS). It is an extension to the Executive MTech in Data Science (EMDS) programme and is equivalent to regular MTech programme. This FAQ contains curriculum, syllabus and other details about the MDS programme.
It is a self-paced program of 48 credits that can be taken over 3-5 years. Similar to EMDS programme, students will do 24 credits of coursework in the first two years. In the third year, they would two Capstone projects of 12 credits each. If a student is not interested in doing the 24 credits of Capstone projects, then he/she can graduate with the Executive MTech in Data Science (EMDS) degree.
Students have the option of taking lesser number of courses in different semesters and complete the course requirement in 2-4 years. The classes will be held over the weekends or other timings suitable for working professionals. Capstone Projects can be taken only after the course requirement is complete. More details can be found here.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA AND ADMISSION PROCESS
- Duration: Self-paced over three to five years
- Intake: Maximum 35
- Eligibility: The candidate must have a minimum 2 years of work experience in Industry and be employed in Industry at the time of applying. The candidate must have a BTech/BE/AMIE degree in CS/EE/IT/ECE, or an MCA, an MSc/MS degree in CS/IT, and have an excellent academic record.
- Selection Procedure: Candidates must fill an online application. Shortlisted candidates will have to give written test and / or interview. Prior research exposure and/or industry experience in areas related to data science will be considered a plus. The final selection of the candidate will be based on performance in the written test and/or interview, and any other criteria deemed suitable by the admission committee. The department reserves the right to set any cut off criteria for shortlisting the candidates. Mere fulfilment of the eligibility criteria does not guarantee that the candidate will be shortlisted, as the shortlisting criteria is often stricter than the eligibility criteria. Shortlisting criteria is decided after receiving the applications, and is aimed at limiting the number of candidates considered for evaluation.
- Program Fee: The fee for applying to the program is ₹500/- . There is a registration fee of ₹15,000 per semester the student enrolls for one or more courses. The course fee is ₹25,000 per credit for the courses. For the Capstone project, the fee is ₹12,500 per credit. For all the 48 credits the total fee is ₹9 Lakhs.
- April 20th, 2018: Date of opening of site for submitting online applications
- May 22, 2018(04:00pm): Last date for submitting online applications
- June 23, 2018: Date of written test/interviews
- July 10, 2018: Announcement of selected candidates
- July 25, 2018: Registration
- July 30, 2018: Commencement of class work
The courses would be offered either on Saturdays from 9:00 am - 5:00 pm or on Monday - Friday from 8:30 - 10:00 am. The time slot in which a course would be taught would be informed to students beforehand to help them in deciding electives. It can be taken at IITH campus or remotely through video-enabled online courses.