23rd Dec, 2016 : List of candidates Selected for Ph.D admission for Dec 2016 can be seen here.
15th Dec, 2016 : The list of candidates who have given written-test and have been shortlisted for interviews to Ph.D Programme in CSE department to be held on 16th Dec 2016. Please see this link for details
08th Dec, 2016 : Candidates shortlisted for written-test/interview for Ph.D admissions have been informed. Please see this link for details.
16th Nov, 2016 : The exam and interview for CSE Ph.D admissions will be held on 15th and 16th Dec 2016.
11th Nov, 2016 : Please use this link to apply for Ph.D admissions.The deadline is 30th Nov 2016.
08th Nov, 2016 : The eligibility criteria has been updated.
03rd Nov, 2016 : The Ph.D admissions page of CSE department will be opened shortly.
The department invites applications from motivated and research-oriented students for the Ph.D. program. IIT-Hyderabad, one of the IITs established by the Govt of India in 2008, has quickly grown to be one of the best institutions for education and research in the country in a very short period. Aided by visionary administration and world-class faculty, IIT-Hyderabad is gradually carving out a name for itself among the other IITs, and is an exciting place to study and carry out research today. It has been operating from its permanent campus since October 2015, and has 13 departments with 160 faculty and about 1800 students, with almost half of them being post-graduate students.
The CSE department at IIT-H is comprised of about 325 students and 17 young and dynamic faculty, whose research areas span a wide variety of computing research including algorithms, computational complexity, formal methods, graph theory, networks and mobile systems, Internet of Things, big data, databases, parallel/distributed systems, compilers, VLSI, computer architecture, machine learning and image/video processing. The faculty have received substantial sponsored research projects in the application domains of converged cloud radio access networks, big data analytics and visual intelligence, and have active research collaborations with various academic and industry partners such as Microsoft Research, IBM Research, Intel, AMD, INRIA, Eurecom, as well as IISc and other IITs. Our faculty also have strong publication records in tier-1 venues such as VLDB, SIGMOD, POPL, KDD, CVPR, IEEE TPAMI, PR, IEEE TNNLS, etc.
The details for applying for Ph.D to the department can be found here: http://www.iith.ac.in/phdadmissions/
1. Candidates with a B.Tech/B.E/B.S./M.Sc/MCA and having a M.Tech/M.E/M.S. degree in in CSE/IT/ECE/EE can apply:
1.1 General/OBC(creamy layer) Category
- B.Tech/B.E/B.S/M.Sc/MCA: 7.0 CGPA
- M.Tech/M.E/M.S. in CSE/IT/ECE/EE: 7.0 CGPA
- B.Tech/B.E/B.S/M.Sc/MCA: 6.3 CGPA
- M.Tech/M.E./M.S. in CSE/IT/ECE/EE: 6.3 CGPA
- B.Tech/B.E/B.S/M.Sc/MCA: 5.9 CGPA
- M.Tech/M.E./M.S. in CSE/IT/ECE/EE: 5.9 CGPA
- 6.5 CGPA General/OBC(creamy layer)
- 5.8 CGPA OBC non-creamy layer
- 5.5 CGPA for SC, ST category
- General/OBC(creamy layer): 7.5 CGPA with a valid CSE/ECE/EE GATE score > 600
- OBC non-creamy layer: 6.75 with a valid CSE/ECE/EE GATE score > 540
- SC, ST: 6.4 CGPA with a valid CSE/ECE/EE GATE score > 510
It is sufficient for students from NIT to have a valid GATE score in this case.
- General/OBC (creamy layer): 7.0 CGPA
- OBC non-creamy layer: 6.3 CGPA
- SC, ST: 6.0 CGPA
These students do not require any GATE score.
5. Part-time Ph.D
- Same criteria as above except that the candidates do not require any GATE scores.
- All the CGPA mentioned above are out of 10. CGPA received on any other point scale (such as 8) and marks/percentages will accordingly be converted to 10 CGPA scale.
- Due consideration will be given to candidates with prior publication/patent record in reputed international journals/conferences and/or R&D experience in research-labs or industry.
- In the conditions above, the relaxation of eligibility requirement degrees in CSE/ECE/EE/IT allows the candidates who had specialized in various sub-disciplines such as M.Tech in Artificial Intelligence, Information Security, Data Sciences, Signal Processing & Digital Design, Communication Systems.
- The department reserves the right to set a suitable cutoff criteria for shortlisting the candidates for exam/interview. The department also reserves the right to NOT select any candidate or select exceptional candidates as it deems
- The admission process typically consists of a written test followed by an interview.
- The department reviews the applications and calls short-listed applicants for the written test/interview. The department reserves the right to call/not call an applicant.
- The written test would be of slightly higher level of difficulty than the GATE exam and it typically comprises of
- An objective section that tests the candidate's aptitude in mathematics, C/C++ programming and general breadth of knowledge in CSE;
- A subjective section that the candidate takes up in one or two of the following three areas:
- Theoretical Computer Science - discrete mathematics, algorithms, data structures and theory of computation;
- Systems I - Computer networks, operating systems, databases and compilers;
- Systems II - Machine learning, pattern recognition, and image/video processing
- Candidates short-listed from the written test will be interviewed and the final selection will be announced on the CSE website within two weeks of the interview date. Selected candidates will also be intimated by email.
WAIVER FOR THE WRITTEN TEST
Among the candidates shortlisted for the interview, candidates meeting one of the following criteria may apply for a waiver of the written test:
- B.Tech. from the IITs who have graduated with a degree in Computer Science and Engineering/Information Technology within the last five years and with a CPI/CGPA of 8/10 and above.
- Masters from the IITs/IISc who have graduated with a degree in Computer Science and Engineering/ Information Technology within the last five years and with a CPI/CGPA of 8.5/10 and above.
- Bachelors/Masters who have passed the GATE exam in the discipline of Computer Science within the last five years and with a GATE score of 800/1000 and above.
All the shortlisted will receive call-letters for the interview through email. Shortlisted candidates who are eligible for the waiver from the written test may then seek waiver for the written test by replying back to the email. Their reply emails must contain proof of one of the criteria mentioned above. Candidates for whom the waiver has been approved will be notified by email.
CERTIFICATES FOR VERIFICATION DURING INTERVIEW
- Degree / Diploma Certificates or provisional certificates from the competent authority of the University or Institute concerned. (In case of candidates whose result are awaited, producing the mark sheets / grade card will be sufficient. However, if selected, they have to produce the certificate mentioned, for verification, at the time of admission);
- All Mark sheets / Grade Cards of your qualifying examinations;
- OBC/SC/ST Certificate, if applicable;
- Sponsorship Letter, if applicable;
- Publications, if applicable; and
- No objection certificate from the present employer, if applicable
Candidates called for interview for the full-time Ph.D. program are eligible for reimbursement of single second class (reserved sleeper) train fare by the shortest route from their city/town of residence to IIT Hyderabad and back for attending the interview on submission of the claim in the prescribed format with all relevant particulars (Train No., Coach No, Ticket No., Fare Paid, Date of Journey, Station from and to, etc). Only one claim is admissible though you may attend more than one interview at this institute in the same trip.