M.Tech in Data Science (for industry professionals)
Overview of MDS programme
From the August 2018 semester, the CSE department is offering a new M.Tech programme, exclusively for professionals working in the industry, known as M.Tech in Data Science (MDS). It is an extension to the Executive MTech in Data Science (EMDS) programme and is equivalent to regular MTech programme.
It is a self-paced program of 48 credits that can be taken over 3-5 years. Similar to EMDS programme, students will do 24 credits of coursework in the first two years. In the third year, they would two Capstone projects of 12 credits each. If a student is not interested in doing the 24 credits of Capstone projects, then he/she can graduate with the Executive MTech in Data Science (EMDS) degree.
Students have the option of taking lesser number of courses in different semesters and complete the course requirement in 2-4 years. The classes will be held over the weekends or other timings suitable for working professionals.
Eligibility Criteria and Admission Process
- This programme is exclusively for professionals working in the industry.
- The candidate should have a BTech/BE degree in CS/EE/IT/ECE, or an MCA, an MSc/MS/ME/M.Tech. degree in CS/IT.
- At least 70% marks or 7.0 CGPA in one of the qualifying exams (BTech/BE in CS/EE/IT/ECE, or MCA, or MSc/MS/ME/M.Tech. in CS/IT)
- By the date of application deadline, the candidate must have a minimum three years of work experience in a relevant industry and be employed in industry at the time of applying. Internship experience, teaching experience, and the experience before completing the earliest qualifying degree (as listed above) are not counted.
- Exceptional candidates with B.Tech./BE degree or an ME/M.Tech. degree in other disciplines will be considered, provided they have outstanding academic records and strong programming work experience in the industry (which should be clearly demonstrated in the application), and/or strong background in data science/related areas (which should be clearly demonstrated in the application). The right to shortlist such candidates (with a different academic training background other than those listed in Point 2) will remain with IIT-H. The objective criteria regarding minimum experience and marks in qualifying exam remain the same as mentioned above.
1.Candidates must fill out an online application.
2.The selection will be based on an online written test, followed by interviews.
18th March 2023 : The application portal opens.
23rd April 2023 : Application portal closes.
1st May 2023 : Announcement of list of shortlisted candidates satisfying the eligibility criteria
20th May 2023 : Online written test. Other details to be informed later.
Till the end of June: Interviews.
Last week in June/First week of July : Announcement of selected candidates.
August 2023 : Classes commence.
The courses would be offered either on Saturdays from 9:00 am - 5:00 pm or on Monday - Friday from 8:30 - 10:00 am. The time slot in which a course would be taught would be informed to students beforehand to help them in deciding electives. The courses are offered through online mode and the candidates can attend the classes from anywhere in the world. However, end-semester exams typically happen on-campus.
- Click here to apply
- Program brochure can be found here
- Faculty profiles can be found here
Help Desk Timings
9:30 am-1:00 pm and 2:00 pm-5:30 pm (Monday-Friday) (Note: Candidates are requested to call us on Government working days only)
Admin Office, CSE Dept
Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad