13th July 2021: The list of selected candidates for the 2021 round of admissions is here. The offer letters will be sent this week. Congratulations to the selected candidates, and thanks to all the applicants for their interest in the program.
05th July 2021: The list of selected candidates for the MDS program will be announced between 12-07-2021 to 15-07-2021.
21st June 2021: The second interview shortlist for the MDS program has been published here. Please see the sheet/tab titled “Interview-Shortlist-2”. The shortlisted candidates will be contacted by the selection committee to inform the interview schedule.
04th June 2021: The interview shortlist for the MDS program has been published here. Please see the sheet/tab titled “Interview-Shortlist-1”. The shortlisted candidates will be contacted by the selection committee over the next week.
21st May 2021: The shortlist for the written test can be found here. The written test will be held online on 30th May 2021. Timing and logistics of the test will be informed to the shortlisted candidates latest by coming Tuesday.
20th April 2021: You can apply for MDS 2021 Programme here from 22nd April onwards. Regarding eligibility criteria, important dates etc. please go through the page carefully.
19th April 2021: The application portal will be opened on 22nd April 2021. Link to the portal will be provided on this page.
16th April 2021: The application portal will be opened next week. The exact dates for the different stages of the selection procedure will be mentioned on the website by coming Monday.
31st March 2021: The announcement for the 2021 round of admissions will be published soon. Please keep looking at this space for updates.
Overview of MDS programme
From August 2018 semester, CSE department is offering a new MTech programme known as MTech in Data Science (MDS). It is an extension to the Executive MTech in Data Science (EMDS) programme and is equivalent to regular MTech programme. This FAQ contains curriculum, syllabus and other details about the MDS programme.
It is a self-paced program of 48 credits that can be taken over 3-5 years. Similar to EMDS programme, students will do 24 credits of coursework in the first two years. In the third year, they would two Capstone projects of 12 credits each. If a student is not interested in doing the 24 credits of Capstone projects, then he/she can graduate with the Executive MTech in Data Science (EMDS) degree.
Students have the option of taking lesser number of courses in different semesters and complete the course requirement in 2-4 years. The classes will be held over the weekends or other timings suitable for working professionals. More details can be found here.
Eligibility Criteria and Admission Process
- This programme is exclusively for professionals working in the industry.
- The candidate should have a BTech/BE degree in CS/EE/IT/ECE, or an MCA, an MSc/MS/ME/M.Tech. degree in CS/IT.
- At least 70% marks or 7.0 CGPA in one of the qualifying exams (BTech/BE in CS/EE/IT/ECE, or MCA, or MSc/MS/ME/M.Tech. in CS/IT)
- By the date of application deadline, the candidate must have a minimum three years of work experience in a relevant industry and be employed in industry at the time of applying. Internship experience, teaching experience, and the experience before completing the earliest qualifying degree (as listed above) are not counted.
- Exceptional candidates with B.Tech./BE degree or an ME/M.Tech. degree in other disciplines will be considered, provided they have outstanding academic records and strong programming work experience in the industry (which should be clearly demonstrated in the application), and/or strong background in data science/related areas (which should be clearly demonstrated in the application). The right to shortlist such candidates (with a different academic training background other than those listed in Point 2) will remain with IIT-H. The objective criteria regarding minimum experience and marks in qualifying exam remain the same as mentioned above.
- Candidates must fill an online application.
- The selection will be based on written tests conducted in IIT Hyderabad in end of May.,followed by online interviews. The written test schedule will be published in the website after the last date of submitting applications is over. Candidates will be shortlisted for interviews based on written test performance.
- However, due to the COVID-19 situation, there are uncertainties regarding the dates of the written exam. If the travel advisories by Government or the decisions taken by the institute/department prohibit travel and gathering, then the selection will be based on only interviews (no written test). In that case stricter shortlisting criteria will be followed, and the list of candidates shortlisted for the interviews will be put up in the website. In case we go ahead with this interview-only approach, all candidates may not be interviewed even if they satisfy the basic eligibility criteria. The department reserves the right to set any cut off criteria for shortlisting the candidates.
The fee for applying to the program is ₹500/- (Irrespective of Caste & Gender). There is a registration fee of ₹15,000 per semester the student enrolls for one or more courses. The course fee is ₹25,000 per credit for the courses. For the Capstone project, the fee is ₹12,500 per credit. For all the 48 credits the total fee is ₹9 Lakhs. While paying the application fee through SBI Collect, select the MDS option from dropdown in SBI Collect page.
- April 22, 2021 : Date of opening of portal for submitting online applications.
- May 12, 2021 : Last date for submitting online applications. Portal closes at 16:00 hours.
- May 21, 2021 : Announcement of list of shortlisted candidates satisfying the eligibility criteria.
- May 30, 2021 : Selection test (online). Timing and mode will be announced later.
- 1st to 4th week of June 2021 : Online interviews of further shortlisted candidates considering the written test performance.
- First week of July 2021 : Announcement of selected candidates.
- August 2021 : Classes commence.
The courses would be offered either on Saturdays from 9:00 am - 5:00 pm or on Monday - Friday from 8:30 - 10:00 am. The time slot in which a course would be taught would be informed to students beforehand to help them in deciding electives. It can be taken at IITH campus or remotely through video-enabled online courses.
- Apply for MDS 2021 admission here
- MDS Brochure for Year 2021 is here
- Faculty profiles can be found here
- This FAQ contains curriculum, syllabus and other details about the MDS programme.
Help Desk Timings
9:30 am-1:00 pm and 2:00 pm-5:30 pm (Monday-Friday) (Note: Candidates are requested to call us on Government working days only)