03rd August 2020: The list of selected candidates for the MDS program is here. The selected candidates will receive the offer letter from the MDS committee through email this week.
29th July 2020: The interviews for admission to the MDS program (2020 batch) are completed. Hence no further interview shortlist will be released. The results will be uploaded on this website next week, and the selected candidates will be contacted through email. Classes will commence from September 2020.
21st July 2020: The third shortlist for the interviews is here
18th July 2020: The second shortlist for the interviews is here
21st June 2020: The application ids of the candidates shortlisted for interviews can be found in this link.
17th June 2020: The application ids of the candidates shortlisted for interviews will be announced on this website by Sunday, 21st June 2020.
02nd June 2020: The shortlist for the written test can be found here. The shortlisted candidates will be communicated through email with details of how the exam will be conducted and other relevant instructions by mid of next week.
28th May 2020: To allow more number of candidates to participate in the selection process, we have decided to have an online objective test on 14th June 2020, at 11 am. Among the applications that we have received before the application deadline, the candidates who are found to be eligible will be allowed to appear in this online test. Eligible candidates will receive an email from us within the next few days mentioning the details of the exam, and also their application IDs will be published on this page. The syllabus for the test will be: Programming, Probability, Data Structures and Algorithms, Discrete Mathematics, Databases, and basic concepts in Statistics, Data Mining, Machine Learning. Please note that we are not inviting any fresh applications.
15th May 2020: Given the current scenario and restrictions/difficulties related to travel, the selections will be based on interviews only. The list of candidates shortlisted for the interview will be announced by the end of this month.
03rd April 2020: The page has been updated with the details of the 2020 round of admissions.
05th July 2019: The wait-list information for MDS 2019 selection round can be found here.
10th June 2019: The list of selected candidates for the MDS program is here. We congratulate the selected candidates and sincerely thank all the applicants for their interest in the program and for the patience with which they waited for the selection process to complete. The selected candidates will be informed about the next steps through email within the next couple of days.
5th June 2019: Fourth batch of candidates shortlisted for interviews are notified through email. List of candidates being interviewed (all batches till now) can be found here.
24th May 2019: Third batch of candidates shortlisted for interviews are notified through email.
22nd May 2019: Second batch of candidates shortlisted for interviews are notified through email.
13th May 2019: Candidates shortlisted for the first batch of interviews are notified through email.
16th April 2019: Call letters have been sent through e-mail to the shortlisted candidates. In case your name appears in shortlist but you have not received the call letter, please send an e-mail to email@example.com with the subject as “Regarding Call letter:<your-application-id>”.
10th April 2019:List of candidates shortlisted for the written test is here. More information about Shortlisting can be found here. Shortlisted candidates will receive the written test call letter through e-mail by early next week. The call letter will also contain a checklist of documents to be carried during the selection test.
5th April 2019: The list of shortlisted candidates for the written test will be released by 10th April 2019.
11th March 2019: You can apply for MDS Programme here. Regarding eligibility criteria, important dates, exam patterns etc. please go through the page carefully.
5th March 2019: We are accepting applications for MDS program from 7th March 2019.
Overview of MDS programme
From August 2018 semester, CSE department is offering a new MTech programme known as MTech in Data Science (MDS). It is an extension to the Executive MTech in Data Science (EMDS) programme and is equivalent to regular MTech programme. This FAQ contains curriculum, syllabus and other details about the MDS programme.
It is a self-paced program of 48 credits that can be taken over 3-5 years. Similar to EMDS programme, students will do 24 credits of coursework in the first two years. In the third year, they would two Capstone projects of 12 credits each. If a student is not interested in doing the 24 credits of Capstone projects, then he/she can graduate with the Executive MTech in Data Science (EMDS) degree.
Students have the option of taking lesser number of courses in different semesters and complete the course requirement in 2-4 years. The classes will be held over the weekends or other timings suitable for working professionals. More details can be found here.
Eligibility Criteria and Admission Process
- Duration: Self-paced over three to five years
- Intake: Maximum 35
- Eligibility: The candidate must have a minimum 2 years of work experience in Industry and be employed in Industry at the time of applying. The candidate must have a BTech/BE/AMIE degree in CS/EE/IT/ECE, or an MCA, an MSc/MS degree in CS/IT, and have an excellent academic record.
- Selection Procedure: Candidates must fill an online application. Shortlisted candidates will have to give written test and / or interview. Prior research exposure and/or industry experience in areas related to data science will be considered a plus. The final selection of the candidate will be based on performance in the written test and/or interview, and any other criteria deemed suitable by the admission committee. The department reserves the right to set any cut off criteria for shortlisting the candidates. Mere fulfilment of the eligibility criteria does not guarantee that the candidate will be shortlisted, as the shortlisting criteria is often stricter than the eligibility criteria. Shortlisting criteria is decided after receiving the applications, and is aimed at limiting the number of candidates considered for evaluation.
- Program Fee: The fee for applying to the program is ₹500/- (Irrespective of Caste & Gender). There is a registration fee of ₹15,000 per semester the student enrolls for one or more courses. The course fee is ₹25,000 per credit for the courses. For the Capstone project, the fee is ₹12,500 per credit. For all the 48 credits the total fee is ₹9 Lakhs. While paying the application fee through SBI Collect, select the MDS option from dropdown in SBI Collect page.
- March 7, 2019: Date of opening of site for submitting online applications
- April 1, 2019: Last date for submitting online applications
- April 10, 2019: Announcing list of shortlisted candidates for selection test
- April 27, 2019: Date of written test/interviews
- June 1st week: Announcement of selected candidates
- July 24, 2019: Registration
- August 3, 2019: Commencement of class work
Admission Test Procedure
The admission test comprises of three phases: Objective Test, Background in DS, and Interview.
- Apr 27, 2019 1:30 PM - 2:45 PM: Objective Test
- Apr 27, 2019 3:15 PM - 4:30 PM: Background in Data Science
- May 15, 2019 - May 25, 2019: Interviews over Phone/Skype
- June 1st Week : Announcement of results
Objective exam will consist of objective (multiple choices/fill in the banks) questions on basics of Computer Science and Data Science. For example courses such as Programming, Probability, Data Structures and Algorithms, Discrete Mathematics, Databases, and basic concepts in Statistics, Data Mining, Machine Learning.
In the Background in Data Science test, you would be required to answer some questions related to your background in Data Science. This would be a test of your writing skill and past background in Data Science. We would prefer to take candidates who are already familiar to Data Science.
For the candidates who qualify the written test, we will conduct 15-20 minutes interview through Phone/Skype. The exact date and timing will be informed to you after you pass the written test.
The courses would be offered either on Saturdays from 9:00 am - 5:00 pm or on Monday - Friday from 8:30 - 10:00 am. The time slot in which a course would be taught would be informed to students beforehand to help them in deciding electives. It can be taken at IITH campus or remotely through video-enabled online courses.
- Apply for MDS 2019 admission here
- MDS Brochure for Year 2019 is here
- Faculty profiles can be found here
- This FAQ contains curriculum, syllabus and other details about the MDS programme.
Help Desk Timings
9:30 am-1:00 pm and 2:00 pm-5:30 pm (Monday-Friday) (Note: Candidates are requested to call us on Government working days only)