M.Tech Admission Details
- 13th Oct 2017 Update: We will soon be accepting applications for the January admission cycle of our 3-year MTech programme. Please watch this page for updates.
The CSE department at IIT Hyderabad invites outstanding candidates to join us for the Masters of Technology (M.Tech.) programme. The M. Tech. programme at IIT-H provides ample opportunities for students to explore both research and development skills. The advanced and specialized courses provide deeper insights into various subjects in Computer Science and Engineering, while the M. Tech. thesis allows you to go deeper into a topic of your interest by joining exciting research projects of the young faculty in the department. An M. Tech. at CSE-IITH will prepare you both for sought-after industry jobs, or for a Ph.D. in Computer Science and Engineering. IIT-H has its vision firmly entrenched in being a cradle for invention and innovation, and has already established partnerships with international partners, especially in Japan, since its inception in 2008. The CSE Department at IIT-H is active in research areas including theoretical computer science, algorithms, graph theory, networking, distributed systems, compilers, big data analytics, data mining, machine learning, and image/video processing. It has large active funded research projects in the application domains of cyber-physical systems, converged cloud radio access networks, and data analytics. While the standard M.Tech programme spans 2 years, the 3-year M.Tech programme is research-focused and allows students to work on sponsored research projects, thus focusing on research every semester, along with the coursework.
The candidate must have:
A 4-year B.Tech./B.E. degree in any engineering discipline or an MSc/MS/MCA degree in CS/IT/Maths, and have an excellent academic record. Candidates having professional qualifications recognized by AICTE, like AMIE, are also eligible to apply.
The candidate should have demonstrated adequate background in computer science (Valid GATE score in CS/IT)
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS AND PROCEDURES
The CSE department does not offer a part-time M. Tech. program. Admission to the M. Tech. program is solicited in three categories:
- 2-year M.Tech with Teaching Assistantship (TA)
- 3-year M.Tech with Research/Project Assistantship (RA)
- Sponsored M.Tech (2-year/3-year), where the candidate’s employer sponsors the expenses for the program
The intake for 2-year M.Tech happens only once a year (for the July session), while the intake for the 3-year MTech and the Sponsored MTech typically happens twice a year (for the July and January sessions).
- Admission to the 2-year M.Tech with TA is guided primarily by GATE score cut-offs and follow-up interviews, as required. Admission to the 3-year M.Tech and Sponsored M.Tech programs is based on an entrance exam followed by interviews for shortlisted candidates. Interviews test the candidates on standard topics in a Computer Science syllabus (data structures, programming, theory of computation, algorithms, networking, OS, DBMS, etc). Valid GATE scores are highly recommended, but not mandatory for the Sponsored category. Students in the 3-year M.Tech program complete the same amount of coursework as 2-year M.Tech students, but are additionally involved in sponsored research projects and get sufficient time in each semester to work on research.
- M.Tech students (TA/RA) receive a stipend as per MHRD (Govt. of India) or research project guidelines.
- The department also has the provision for students in the M.Tech programme to convert to Ph.D during the course of the programme.
- As an exception to the admissions for the 2-year M.Tech programme, B.Tech/MSc/MS/MCA students from IITs and IISc with a CPI of at least 8.0 (7.5 for SC/ST candidates) will be granted a waiver from GATE requirement. However they will have to appear for a written test and interview, where they will be tested on programming skills and knowledge of basic CS subjects.
- Candidates in the Sponsored M.Tech programme category must be a regular employee of the sponsoring organization with at least 2 (two) years of professional experience in the respective field. The candidate must bring a letter during the interview confirming the employer’s agreement to sponsoring the programme for the candidate.
- Prior research exposure and/or industry experience are also considered while selecting candidates in the sponsored and 3-year (RA) categories.
- Candidates still to appear in their qualifying degree examinations may also apply, provided they appear in all their qualifying degree examinations and complete all requirements for their degrees at least a month before the joining semester. If selected, such candidates shall be admitted provisionally, and they will have to furnish the results of their qualifying degree examinations on joining. Further, they must fulfill the minimum requirements of marks/CPI, and other conditions like valid GATE score, etc., as mentioned under eligibility criteria for respective programmes. Failure to fulfill any of these requirements shall automatically result in cancellation of admission.
- The department reserves the right to set any cut off criteria for shortlisting the candidates. The shortlisted candidates will be called for exam/interview as required. The department reserves the right to conduct interviews for admission to the 2-year M.Tech programme even if the applicant has a valid GATE score. The department has the right not to select any if appropriate candidates are not found.
The following certificates are to be produced by the candidates in original at the time of interview for verification:
- Degree / Diploma Certificates or provisional certificates from the competent authority of the University or Institute concerned. (In case of candidates whose result are awaited, producing the mark sheets / grade card will be sufficient. However, if selected, they have to produce the certificate mentioned, for verification, at the time of admission)
- All Mark sheets / Grade Cards of your qualifying examinations
- OBC/SC/ST Certificate, if applicable
- Sponsorship Letter, if applicable
- Publications, if applicable
- No objection certificate from the present employer, if applicable