Executive M.Tech. in Data Science
Executive M.Tech Brochure
Executive M.Tech Poster
- Update 04-05-2018: From Aug’2018, CSE dept has started another program, named “M.Tech in Data Science” (MDS), which is an extension of EMDS program. Similar to EMDS program, MDS program is also for working professionals and the students have the flexibility to attend classes either remotely or on-campus. The MDS program has 48 credits, which includes 24 course credits and 24 project credits. A student who does not want to complete the full MDS degree can exit after doing 24 course credits and get the EMDS degree. As such, from 2018, there will be no separate admission for EMDS degree. Instead, admissions will be done only for the MDS degree. A candidate interested in EMDS degree should also apply to the MDS program. See this webpage for more details about MDS program.
- Update 05-07-2017: The list of candidates selected for EMDS 2017 admission can be found here. See here for the waitlisting candidates.
- Update 20-06-2017: The list of candidates selected for the interview based on June 9th test can be found here. Please see the sheet for your objective exam marks.
- Update 14-06-2017: The evaluation for June 9th written test is not yet done. The list of candidates shortlisted for interview will be announced on June 19th.
- Update 05-06-2017: A detailed FAQ containing sample admission test paper, shortlisting criteria, etc., can be found here.
- Update 30-05-2017: The list of candidates selected for the written test on June 9th can be found here.
- Update 14-04-2017: The admission portal is now open. You can apply for EMDS 2017 here.
- Update 04-04-2017: Due to some technical reasons the admission portal is not yet open. The admission portal will open shortly. Please check this page again in few days.
NEED FOR DATA SCIENCE PROGRAMME
There are many industries, such as social media, healthcare, insurance, e-commerce, transport, government, banking, telecommunications, etc., that are producing massive amounts of data, the so-called “BIG DATA”, with Volume, Velocity, Variety, Veracity and Value (the five “Vs” of Big Data challenges) at an unprecedented scale. This has led to a critical need for skilled professionals, popularly known as Data Scientists, who can mine and interpret the data. Making sense of this massive data is a very difficult challenge for scientific, technological and industrial disciplines. Data Science is the art of converting raw data to useful information that can be used to draw conclusions and make decisions. Data Science is used in organizations to make better business decisions and is used in sciences to verify or disprove existing models or theories. Unfortunately, there is a gap between the demand and supply of data scientists and technologists. Following are the chief reasons behind this gap:
- Undergraduate programs are too generic for addressing issues in this area in a focused manner.
- There are not many postgraduate programs that focus explicitly on Data Science.
- Even if some generic postgraduate programs can be tailored to focus on Data Science through electives, professionals working in the industry or R&D establishments do not have the luxury of taking two years off for pursuing higher studies.
With these factors in mind, the CSE Department at IIT Hyderabad proposes a two-year course-work based M.Tech. program in Data Science area that is flexible and can be self-paced. This program is exclusively designed to cater to the needs of working individuals, wherein a candidate is expected to do eight 3-credit courses over a period of 2-4 years. Ideally, one can take 2 courses per semester. The classes will be held over the weekends (or other timings suitable for working professionals) with each class having a 3-hour duration. More details can be found in brochure and poster
EMDS courses 2017
ADMISSION TEST PROCEDURE
The admission test comprises of three phases: Objective Test, Background in DS, and Interview.
- June 9, 10:30 am – 12:30 pm: Objective Test
- June 9, 2:30 pm – 4:30 pm: Background in Data Science
- June 15 – June 25: Interviews over Phone/Skype
Objective exam will consist of multiple choices questions on basics of Computer Science and Data Science. For example courses such as Programming, Probability, Data Structures and Algorithms, Discrete Mathematics, Databases, and basic concepts in Statistics, Data Mining, Machine Learning.
In the Background in Data Science test, you would be required to answer some questions related to your background in Data Science. This would be a test of your writing skill and past background in Data Science. We would prefer to take candidates who are already familiar to Data Science.
For the candidates who qualify the written test on June 9th, we will conduct 15-20 minutes interview through Phone/Skype. The exact date and timing will be informed to you after you pass the written test.
- Faculty profiles can be found here
EMDS FAQ Link